What are Double Incontinence Pants?
- On June 26, 2019
- 0 Comments
Double incontinence, often known as “combined incontinence”, is when faecal incontinence occurs in tandem with urinary incontinence. This can often be caused by crossed reflexes between the bladder, urethra and pelvic floor. It has also been heavily associated with obesity, as studies have shown each 5 unit increase in BMI is associated with a 60-80% risk of both faecal and urinary incontinence. Some people can be born with disabilities that cause double incontinence, such as Spina Bifida and other spinal problems. Individuals with double incontinence have further impairment in their physical and psychosocial well-being than those with individual urine or faecal incontinence. Studies have shown it to have more impact on daily life than other types of incontinence.
Conditions that cause and increase the risk of double incontinence include:
- Damage to the external anal sphincter
- Increased body mass
- A sedentary lifestyle
Double incontinence pants are a popular solution for both faecal and urinary incontinence, with designs improving as the market expands. They provide enough protection to serve as a reliable option, whilst providing comfort. Double incontinence pants will therefore have high absorbency, so most double incontinence pants should have a Maxi or Super absorbency level. Incontinence pants can be worn instead of normal underwear, and are designed to feel just like normal pants.
Why Choose Incontinence Pants?
Many people with both faecal and urinary incontinence look for a product that will support their movement and allow and active lifestyle. Incontinence pants provide a snug, close fit whilst maintaining a discreet appearance. The pants are often preferred due to their close resemblance to normal underwear.
Additional benefits of incontinence pants:
- Allow a sense of freedom
- No noise
- Ideal for an active lifestyle
- Provide a secure fit
- No rustling or noise during use
- Soft, comfortable choice of material
- No need to shop for a pad and fixation pant separately
- A comfortable elastic waist
- Built in absorbent pad
Choosing Double Incontinence Pants
When choosing double incontinence pants, consider the following:
- Do you have sensitive skin? Some pants are designed specially for sensitive skin, and will be labelled as hypoallergenic. Similarly, if you are sensitive to latex, you can find latex free products that will not irritate the skin. Some products also feature soft-feel material for maximum comfort.
- How heavy is your incontinence? Pants are designed for light to severe incontinence, so it is vital to check the absorbency level of the pant. The absorbency levels from low to high are: Plus, Extra, Super, Maxi.
- Do you trust a specific brand? If you have any preferences on brand, choosing a brand you trust can put your mind at rest.
- Will the pant provide a close fit? Ensuring you to choose the right size is vital in getting the most out of incontinence pants. When a product is loose, it will not provide the most support possible, leading to unwanted accidents.
Disposing Double Incontinence Pants
When disposing pants for faecal and urinary incontinence, it is vital to take hygiene and social standards into account. Ensure you dispose pants in a bag, rather than placing them in a bin unprotected. It is also important to remember never to try and flush an incontinence product in the toilet, as they can swell and cause blockage. Tie handle bin liners are the most convenient bags for this, as they are easy to carry and are strong and reliable. Abri-Bag Zip Bags feature a zip lock, ensuring that unpleasant odours do not escape. If you are worried about odours when disposing the product, you can find many odour sprays such as the Magic Neutrafresh, which provides long lasting residual fragrance. We also recommend using cleansing wipes and creams when changing a product, to reduce the risk of infection.
Are you choosing male incontinence pants? Read our guide to the best incontinence pants for men
Recommended Double Incontinence Pants
Attends Pull Ons 8
- Completely unobtrusive and invisible under normal clothing
- Side tears for easy removal
- Flexible fit and breathable back sheet for healthy skin
- Maximum dignity
Lille SupremPants Maxi
- Unobtrusive and discreet
- Double Absorbent core for fast absorption and greater capacity
- Hydrophobic, Inner leg cuffs for extra anti-leak protection