- Posted by Samantha Hall
- On August 22, 2019
- 0 Comments
There are many different product options for managing overflow incontinence in women. Choosing the right product can ensure you are relaxed and fully protected against leakages.
Overflow incontinence accounts for 10-15% of all incontinence cases. Common causes include injury of nerves affecting the bladder, and nerve damage from diseases such as Diabetes and Multiple Sclerosis. Overflow incontinence normally involves continuous small amounts of urine, as the bladder doesn’t empty properly. As large amounts of urine are held in the bladder, you may experience a constant feeling of fullness as well as frequent urine leaks.
Here are the different product options available for overflow incontinence in women:
Pull Up Pants
Pull up pants are designed to feel like normal underwear, and are available in light to heavy absorbency levels. Pull ups have the following key features:
- An elasticated, soft material waistband for both a comfortable fit and extra security
- A highly absorbent core designed to channel wetness away from the skin which prevents skin irritation
- Leak Guards, made from more high-absorbency materials, on and around the legs to help any liquid escaping
- The absorbent core and surrounding materials are designed to maintain comfort
Recommended Pull Up Pants for Female Overflow Incontinence
Depend Active Fit for Women
- Cotton-like stretch fabric
- Slim-fit design
- Peach colour cotton
- Breathable and discreet
- Ideal for women with an active lifestyle
- For moderate to heavy incontinence
All in Ones (Nappy-Style Products)
All in one nappies are the most absorbent products, and are designed with either velcro fixation or tapes. These products are most ideal for people who have low mobility, as they can be worn for long periods of time.
Recommended All in Ones for Female Overflow Incontinence
Lille Suprem Fit Super Plus
- Soft, elasticated sides
- Double absorbent layer
- Breathable textile backing
- Discrete and comfortable
- Suitable for light to moderate incontinence
Shaped Incontinence Pads
Shaped pads can serve as a light, discreet method for managing incontinence. The pads provide a close body fit and have a similar shape to sanitary towels. They are often less absorbent than all in ones and pull ups, however you can find highly absorbent shaped pads.
Recommended Shaped Pads for Female Overflow Incontinence
Attends Contours Regular 6
- Body shaped for comfort
- Advanced absorbent technology locks away odours
- Soft flexible leakage barriers ensure maximum leakage protection
- Wetness indicator helps you identify when the product needs changing
- Sit close to the body
Lights by TENA
- Specially designed for women with light incontinence
- Fresh fast crystals to encapsulate liquid
- Silky soft textile covering
- Fits discreetly into your own underwear
iD Expert Form 3 Super
- Anatomically-shaped pads offer an ideal solution for moderate to heavy incontinence
- Anatomically shaped pads
- Odour Control Technology
- Anti leaf cuffs
- Soft cotton feel textile back sheet
How to Choose Women’s Overflow Incontinence Products
Do Not Ignore the Importance of Sizing
This is hugely important when buying incontinence pants. You need a pant that fits snugly enough to contain leaks.
Look for the Correct Absorbency
Overflow incontinence often causes light to moderate leaks or dribbles. You should therefore buy a product depending on your leak severity. Levels such as Normal and Plus are suitable for lighter leaks, whereas levels such as Super or Maxi should be used if you are experiencing heavier leaks.
Do you have Sensitive Skin?
You need to ensure your skin does not become damaged or irritated during use. Some products for overflow incontinence are hypoallergenic, such as the Cottons Comforts range. Many incontinence products are also latex free, which are recommended for those who are sensitive to latex.
Are you on a Budget?
Consider your Mobility Level
Some people with low mobility levels often find pull up pants difficult to put on and take off. All in one pads and shaped pads are therefore more convenient if you are not very mobile. For people who are very active and mobile, pull up pants may be the best option for you. They are designed to feel like normal underwear and provide freedom of movement. You can find certain pants that are designed especially for people with a more active lifestyle.