A Few Facts About Young Carers
- On August 8, 2008
- 0 Comments
– In a recent poll it was suggested that there are over 100,000 young carers in Scotland – young people under the age of 18 who might be helping to look after a parent with physical or mental health problems, or who may be caring for a brother and sister with learning disabilities.
– Of 100,000 young carers in Scotland, only 3000 receive support from the 50 young carers projects that currently exist.
– The Scottish Executive’s Care 21 report found that 21% of young carers spend between 30 and 39 hours caring every week.
– The average age of a young carer is 12 and 10% of secondary school children are carers.
– Current estimates indicate that some 40-60,000 children in Scotland may have a drug using parent and up to 100,000 are affected by parental alcohol misuse.
– Carers of all ages throughout Scotland save the Scottish Government £7.68 billion every year.
Quite shocking really when you consider these children should be in full time education and hanging out with their friends. And this is a definate reminder that more needs to be done to help carers.